06 October 2006

Let's start at the very beginning, a very good place to start.
-from Mary Poppins (I think)

Where oh where to start! I have been here exactly a week, although it seems as though it's been a year! How can a week last for so long? Right now I am in my room at my homestay family's house. I have just finished my evening bucket bath, and fortunately for me, the power just came on!! Electricity here is extremely sporadic, and there's no real way to predict when you will be lucky. My mom just called out, "Jessica, sula bulungi!" So I responded with, "Sula bulungi, Maama!" We just said goodnight, even though it's only 9:30 pm. I am dead tired, but I really want to get this all down before the power goes out and I am electricity-less for who knows how long. So, a quick recap of my week:

Sunday (the 1st)- the picnic! (That was the last time I posted). After the picnic we went back to our guesthouse in Kampala and went to bed. I think that's about it.

Monday- We got up, packed up, and headed off to a cell phone shop in Kampala. That's right- I now have a cell phone, in the middle of Africa. Go figure. It's super expensive for me to call the States, but any incoming calls I get are free!

After buying phones we all got in the minibus and headed from Kampala to Luweero, the town where we are training. Traffic here is interesting... it takes a while to get the hang of it. Luckily, I have experienced Thai traffic, which I used to think was as crazy as it could get. Now, I realize that Thai traffic was really just an intermediate step that only semi-prepared me for that insanity that is Ugandan traffic. It is very difficult to explain... it just flows. You really just have to go; you can't wait, or you would spend a whole day waiting. So, you just go, and you realize that everyone else is just going, and somehow, someway that does not make any sense, there are not too many accidents. The roads are narrow, covered in potholes that must be manuevered around. There is a left and a right (you drive on the left here), but the side of the road you drive on in any given moment is much more dependent on where the potholes are located than it is on laws, or on the location of other vehicles, people, or bicycles. Like I said, you just go, and hope for the best. So, despite some scary traffic, we made it to Luweero!

Uh oh, power just went off. And darn it, I was only on Monday! More later.

3 Comments:

At 14 October, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just a quick note: Right actress (Julie Andrews) wrong movie (Sound of Music). I'm still reading to catch up, but it's fascinating to read about your trip.

 
At 15 October, 2006, Blogger mmm said...

i was going to say what russell said; i haven't actually read the rest of the post!

 
At 17 October, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So, you brought your computer...? Or, you have internet...?

Ugandan traffic sounds like Costa Rican traffic. We have these crazy roundabouts that are huge and in the middle of apparent highways. I always think I'm going to die. Potholes here are amazing. The joke is that you can tell a drunk driver from a sober driver because the sober one weaves through all the potholes and the drunk one just continues straight through...

Okay, continue to be well!

9.30...wow...that's late. During training, I was exhausted by 8!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home