10 February 2007

Sister

I see God in every human being.
-Mother Teresa


People here are always and forever telling me that I should become a sister/convert to Catholicism, and while I try to laugh it off, it does get a little annoying. Ok, REALLY annoying. (Maybe you should pray for me not to become a nun, because, let me tell you, I have a whole army of nuns praying that I WILL become one.) Some of them are absolutely convinced, despite my gentle reminders that I’m not Catholic and that I have an awesome boyfriend. But, I was talking to my best nun friend the other day, and she told me that it’s a really good compliment. She said that when people say you should be a nun, it’s like saying that you conduct yourself very well, and that they would be privileged for you to join their community. She told me, “It’s as if they’re saying that, through you, they see God.” So, that somehow made me feel a whole lot better. It can still be annoying, but now I have a much better attitude about it- I know that people are saying it because they want me here and because they appreciate what I’m doing. All a matter of perspective, I guess.

(But, maybe you should still pray that I won’t become a nun. Ha!)

4 Comments:

At 16 February, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nakivumbi,

I thought you might want to put a quotation from Shakespeare at the head of this blog entry: "Get thee to a nunnery!" (Hamlet's advice to Ophelia.)

Maybe a nun for the nonce? ;-)

 
At 26 February, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My Dear Jessica,
The Holy Spirit always recognizes the Holy Spirit. It shines in you and in them. You have chosen a different path of service but it shines no less. Embrace the compliment and know you are where you should be right now, doing what God intended you to do. I am amazed and I too pray for you - you better be glad that I am not Catholic as well!!

 
At 27 February, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You wrote about becomming a nun in the letter I just got. I guess I get the first updates! I hope all is well!!! Happy March 1st almost.

 
At 12 March, 2007, Blogger mmm said...

don't be a nun!! talking about boys is just too much fun. wow i'm rhyming too. you've made me a poet. that is great though! that the sisters really like you and want you to become a part of their lives. i can't wait to meet them! especially your translator! i'm already planning on tagging along with you guys!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home