08 October 2006

Continued...

Ok, the electricity is flickering, but I'll try to catch you up to speed so far! Here's what's happened the past week:

Monday- I didn't get to finish last time! In Luweero, we stayed at a guesthouse, which is also where our training classes are being held. We had a few training sessions, but nothing too strenuous. This day was our first experience with pit latrines! The hole for a pit latrine is about half as big as you would think. It was a challenge at first, but now that it's a week later, I have to say that I have really great aim.

Tuesday- We had more training, but again, I felt like training hadn't started yet. We got bikes, which were way too tall for most of us, even for my super long legs. I am amazed at the fact that someone any shorter than me would even attempt these bikes, but these are my fellow volunteers I'm talking about- they don't give up easily. I think we're all still scared half to death to actually get out on the road, but we can all ride around the yard, at least. I haven't ridden my bike yet- traffic is seriously frightening. I'm going to try sometime this coming week. So anyway, Tuesday. Other than getting bikes, we had a health session on diarrhea and water preparation, two very important topics! Then, we had to do a community mapping exercise.

Wednesday- It poured rain Wednesday morning, so we kind of got a late start on the day. But, we had our first real language lessons! I'm learning Luganda, along with Sarah, Amanda, Alexis, Erin, and Nora. The other volunteers are learning various other languages, which I won't attempt to spell right now. We also had an overview of HIV/AIDS in Uganda. Then, our host families came to meet us for the first time, and to take us home with them! Both my mom and dad came to pick me up! I love my host family SO MUCH. They're great. I have a dad, a mom, a 16 year old sister, and a 12 year old sister. My family speaks both English and Luganda, which is great- they're really helping me learn! My family has also renamed me, with a name from their clan! My new name is Nakivumbi, after my dad's dad. It's pronounced nah-chee-voom-bee, and I think it's really cute!

Host sister Lovincer:


Host sister Carol:


Host Mom:

Sisters:
Thursday-We (the volunteers) all met back at the training center the next morning. We had a "homestay processing" hour, where we all talked about our experiences the previous night. Again, I love my family, and I think I was really fortunate as far as my family placement goes. Other volunteers don't have it so easy. Not that they don't like their families, but adjusting is always a little difficult, and incorporating into a family is easier in some cases than others.

Friday- This was one loooong day- I was SO exhausted by the end of it! First, we had a two hour language class. Then, we were divided into small groups and had to go visit various schools in the community to find out about their structure, teaching styles, etc. We were to ask a ton of questions and observe lessons being taught. I visited Luweero Girls' School, which I was super impressed by. The teacher that I observed was really great! There were about 60 students in the classroom, and I was so amazed that she taught such a great lesson with that many students! The lesson I observed was social studies, but that particular teacher was also in charge of the health/couseling stuff for that school. I learned a lot, and it was a really great visit! Then, we had a few more hours of language, then a bicycle maintenance session, and then we went and visited a health center. What classifies as a health center is pretty amazing. This was a level three health center, which means they don't actually give out ARVs (antiretrovirals, the drugs you take when you have AIDS) at this one- they have to refer their patients elsewhere. They do give basic care, though. So, after that, we went back to the school, and then home to our homestay families. I guess maybe all of those things don't sound like a lot, but I was so tired by the time I got home!

Saturday- I washed clothes! and I studied, a lot. Flashcards are amazing- I had forgotten. My sister Carol helped me a lot with those. She's really quiet, but really great. So, Saturday was spent around the house, although Lovincer and I did go to the market to get stuff for lunch. I helped with a few things- just peeling potatoes, making juice, washing dishes, etc.

Sunday- I'm glossing over so much, but finally, I'm caught up! Today is Sunday. This morning Lovincer and I went to church. Sarah's family also goes to this church, and Brett came too, so I got to see them for a little bit! Church is a really important thing here- the majority of the country is Christian, although there are significant numbers of Muslims as well. So, to church we went! The singing was great, as to be expected. It's the harmony that's so beautiful- gives me goose bumps, every time. We even sang some familiar songs- Onward Christian Solders, and Glorious Things of Thee are Spoken! After that, we came home and had a huge lunch. Today we had chicken, since it's Sunday. I should mention the eating situation here. Think about how much you eat for Thanksgiving. That's how much people here eat, every single day. It's quite different from what you would think. Here, being fat is good, so my host family always wants me to eat so much! Today, for lunch, we had: chicken, rice, squash, bananas, sweet potatoes, greens, pineapple, and papaya. And you're expected to eat everything, and lots of it, so you can be fat. It's so heavy too- can you imagine eating rice AND potatoes AND spagetti (oh, I forgot- we alsp had spagetti) AND mashed bananas, all in the same meal? Apparently most female volunteers in Uganda gain a significant amount of weight during their first few months here; now I know why! I try to control my portions, but even if I take really small amounts, there are so many different things that I'm taking small amounts of that my plate is huge by the time I have everything! Once I am on my own and cooking for myself this won't be an ordeal, but for now, I'm stuffed! It's better than being hungry, though.

Bye for now!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home