19 November 2006

Murder She Wrote

Today I slaughtered a chicken! My family raises chickens, and every Sunday, one is slaughtered for our Sunday lunch and dinner. Two weeks ago, Brett (fellow trainee) came over and we watched a chicken be slaughtered; last week, Brett came over and slaughtered the chicken; this week, it was my turn... yeah.

You can't buy a dead chicken here, you can only buy a live one and kill it. Chicken is pretty much my only meat option, as I have no interest in going to the market and having beef hacked off of a hanging fly-covered cow carcass. Anyway, whether or not I will actually kill a chicken at my site, I guess I feel like I should know how a chicken is killed for ideological reasons- if I'm going to eat a dead animal, I should know how it came to be dead and on my plate. (But, my ideology only goes so far... there is no way I could ever kill a cow, haha)

So, the particular chicken that was chosen for this week's meal happened to be a particularly huge chicken- definitely the biggest one so far! It also happened to be a particularly active chicken... most chickens don't seemed to mind being killed, but this one did. But, I did it- I killed the chicken, and I'll spare you the details. It was kind of horrifying and kind of okay. The anticipation is always worse than the actual.

3 Comments:

At 28 November, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can't believe this is my daughter writing this...I have never even killed a chicken...and don't really care to experience it but "when in Rome..."

 
At 01 December, 2006, Blogger mmm said...

i'm really proud! for some reason... it seems like a rite of passage, and sign that you're incorporating yourself into the culture, the mindset... and i totally agree with understanding where and how your food got here. i (not really i, but i book i read) think that the reason there's so much obseity and health problems in our modern world has a lot to do with our poor diet habits which in turn is directly influenced by the disconnect we have with our food... ahhh i miss uofc people and conversations! but i miss you more.

 
At 13 December, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

are you really truthful? it's a lie that more of people who go to africa, will say. if you are rigt, show us the photo.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home