18 September 2007

PS

The previous post described many "first-world" problems. I'm sure that some people will read it and think: Jess is whining about things like getting sunscreen in her eyes?!?! When she lives in a country where half the kids are orphans? In a country where people are dying from AIDS (and malaria, and TB)? Where girls are forced into marriage? Where nice clothes and or a cell phone are given in exchange for sex? Where the beating of children is encouraged in church? Where men sit and drink all day? Where people with severe deformities from polio beg in the streets?

Lest you all think I am callous or unkind, I debated taking the post down- but decided against it. I'm leaving it up because I think that it's hard for Peace Corps Volunteers to admit that it's often the first-world problems that make the experience difficult. Because--however backward it may seem--you can accept the fact that there are huge problems in the world, but it's sunscreen in your eyes that makes you cry. That lets you cry.

4 Comments:

At 19 September, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jess,

I love and miss you.
You have such insight into life and watching you grow and you being able to share your ups and downs has helped ne put my life in perspective in the overall scheme of things. Thank you for teaching me. Instead of sitting it out, you have chosen to dance:) Mom

 
At 21 September, 2007, Blogger The Gossiper said...

I know that feeling, or rather those feelings where the smallest things feel so difficult and upsetting. There have been days, even here in small town Wales, where I have curled up on the floor and cried because nothing seemed to be going right. You're right, about needing to talk about the first world problems too. They may seem so insignificant in comparison to other, worldly problems but they make us feel bad nonetheless. In fact, I think its only through understanding that the idea of "problem" is something so personal and so intertwined with ones conditions that really allows us any prospect at empathy for things we won't ever personally experience. I'm so glad you did leave this post up. Although its been awhile since I have been in the third world, dealing with immigration issues in the UK has presented me with some similar emotions.

 
At 25 September, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just blog from the heart, Jess. That is what we want to hear. When I am stuck in traffic, I am not thankful for a car and freedom to travel anywhere in this US I want to go. Nope, I am pissed at the inconvenience of it all and the failure of the city planners, the guy next to me trying to cut in, the idiot who had a flat tire and ruined the flow, etc....... Crazy, I know. I sit in air conditioned comfort, listening to my radio, eating fast food, sipping a latte, talking on my cell phone and all in a frenzy because I am delayed for 20 minutes by traffic.
By the way I think I grew up in that church!
And for the record I will deny eating, drinking, and cell phone usage while driving if questioned.

 
At 02 October, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh no. I'm with you all the way. It's just important to keep it all in perspective.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home