19 October 2006

A short note!

I swear I don't have internet access, this is just the second freakish bout of good luck! Right now I'm in Kampala on the way home from visiting another volunteer- this time we went on a day trip as a large group! Our trainers are super nice and have given us exactly 30 minutes at an internet cafe!

I'm kind of frustrated because I have a lot of good things to post, and they're all saved on my flash drive. But, the computer isn't recognizing my flash drive, so no go. What I'm doing is this: since I have my laptop and sometimes have electricity, I'm writing stuff on my laptop and then saving it under the date I write it. Later, when I get to an internet cafe, I can just post everything I've written all at once! Once I get through with training I will most likely have more regular internet access and can update periodically instead of in a big blogging blitz!

For now, as they say in Luganda, obulamu bulungi- life is good! I am still loving it here so much, and I think everyone is too! To those who were concerned about my luggage- I did get it, and everything was still inside! Carrie also got her suitcase, so everything worked out really well.

A family friend back home is in the hospital, and at least two of the other trainees have already had very unexpected news from home. (Your thoughts/prayers are appreciated!) It's weird, when you travel abroad for extended periods of time, you tend to think that time back home freezes... it sure doesn't.

I can't tell if time moves slowly or quickly here, but we're accomplishing so much! The language classes are my favorite- I am having so much fun with language these days! It's a little weird because I really enjoy language class, but I think other people dread it, or they just feel like it's really overwhelming. And, it's hard to be enthusiastic about something when other people really don't like it. It's like having someone go on and on about how great brussel sprouts are. I don't want to be that girl. (But... I am. I LOVE LUGANDA!) And, I miss the UofC.

Yikes, my time is up soon.. hope this loads!

4 Comments:

At 21 October, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You take after your mama:) I love languages and am fascinated by them. KB is out of ICU today and in his own room. Has a long way to go but doing okay for now. No tubes attached any more so now just healing and rehab. Thanks for your continued prayers. They say the first two weeks with an aorta dissection is critical. Love and miss you. (We showed SB your text message). Love you!

 
At 22 October, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jess.....am truly enjoying your writings so hopefully you will be able to continue on a regular basis. Take care of yourself and make as many memories as you can.....love, Aunt Margie

 
At 23 October, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nakivumbi, glad to know that obulamu bulungi!

The frustrations you described on your Oct. 9th post brought to mind another word (in Lungereza this time!) -- weltschmerz, describing a condition I'm sure you will avoid.

[welt·schmerz
Pronunciation: 'velt-"shmerts
Function: noun
Usage: often capitalized
Etymology: German, from Welt world + Schmerz pain
1 : mental depression or apathy caused by comparison of the actual state of the world with an ideal state]

You are helping to make the world we live in a better place -- and for that we thank you and your fellow volunteers!

Weebale. Tunaalabagana!

 
At 28 October, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i miss the u of c, too!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home