01 April 2007

In-Service

My last two weeks of March were spent in Peace Corps “In-Service Training”- first some language refresher classes, and then lots of classes on how to make an organizational plan. (The latter was for both volunteers and the people we work with.) Most importantly, I got to see my friends!!! The training was for the group of us that came together in September- it was the first time we’ve all been together since training. And, also very much worth mentioning is that on March 29th, we officially celebrated SIX MONTHS in Uganda! And what a six months it has been.

Piled on my bed during our lunch break…

Alexis in back, Hannah, Me, & Sarah in the middle, Courtney on top

Our accommodations for the week were a bit over the top… and by over the top I mean, well, I don’t exactly know. Let’s just say there were leopard-print bedcovers. A leopard-print headboard. There was no toilet seat on our toilet. The water wasn’t on half the time. Our light bulb was blue. We had plastic yellow chandelier. The hotel logo (on the staff’s shirts, and screen-printed on our sheets) seemed improper for such a conservative country. Sarah and I were roommates, and we couldn’t resist taking pictures…

Posing with the screen-printed pillowcase… this is a very scandalous pillowcase for Uganda!



Our chandelier! The flash makes the lighting in the room look a normal color… it was very blue.


Despite our…unusual… accommodations, the staff was amazing! Everyone was so friendly and nice! They even made us pizza, twice!!! On our last night, they played American music for us in their meeting room so that we could have a dance party- some of them even came and danced with us! If I’m ever in Mukono again, I am stopping by to say hi!

1 Comments:

At 09 April, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You look great! I miss you tons, too. I haven't read anything, but I copied it all and will get to it soon.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home