27 November 2006

Sad

Today was a really sad day because I had to leave my host family. My host family is so amazing, and we were all crying so much! A couple things that illustrate how amazing they are:

They bought me fruits and vegetables to take with me to my new site!
Ok, first you need some background info- my host mom knows that, in America, I really like salad, so for the past several weeks she has been fixing me “salad” at dinner- shredded cabbage, carrots, and green bell pepper. This is waaaay more amazing than in probably sounds. No one really eats fresh vegetables here- everything is always cooked cooked cooked, so having 'salad' is really unusual. Also, we always have juice with dinner...
So, yesterday she bought me cabbage, carrots, lemons, tangerines, and eggplant to take with me to my site so that I can make salad and juice... so incredibly nice!

This morning, they cooked me a WHOLE chicken, FOR BREAKFAST. Ok, this also probably does not sound very amazing, but it is. Chicken is only eaten occasionally for dinner, except on Sundays, when it is eaten for both lunch and dinner. When it is eaten not on Sundays, the whole chicken is never cooked for one sitting. I left early this morning, so my last meal was breakfast- and what was served? Chicken (they had seriously cooked the whole thing- no small undertaking when cooking takes hours and hours), salad, and juice.

I can't really explain how special they are to me, and I'm realizing as I'm writing this that how nice they are isn't really coming across... but trust me, buying me vegetables and cooking me a chicken... I can't believe how incredibly giving these people are.

I'm coming back to visit as soon as I can.

3 Comments:

At 28 November, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so appreciative of your host family for taking such good care of you! Enjoy the fruits and veggies:)

 
At 28 November, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jessica, you are truly blessed. It is a joy to read about your serving in Uganda!
Much love to you,
pam

 
At 03 December, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Home is where the heart is my dear niece. With a heart as big and full as your heart is, you will be home where ever you go. You will be missed where ever you leave and loved in many places all over the world! My prediction for your future! Love you, hope you get this at least by Christmas.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home